Values, Mission & Goals
The Youth Symphony of Southern Oregon is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to providing young people with opportunities to expand their knowledge of classical music by learning and performing challenging orchestral repertoire and chamber music.
The Youth Symphony of Southern Oregon organization believes in the value of classical music in the community and that music instruction is an essential component of a comprehensive education. The YSSO believes that the study and practice of music has intrinsic and instrumental value and the development of skills must be nurtured through best practices and high-quality resources. The YSSO believes that music and music education must be available to all without regard for cultural or geographic considerations or economic status. The YSSO seeks to inspire community support for classical music and to promote its value through public performances and music education programs. The YSSO is dedicated to artistic quality, fiscal integrity and responsible stewardship of resources.
The mission of the Youth Symphony of Southern Oregon is to provide exceptional performance experiences under the leadership of professional conductors and music coaches and to encourage a lifelong appreciation of classical music and the arts.
The goals of the YSSO are to:
- ensure access to high-quality training and performance opportunities;
- develop music technique and performance skills;
- promote teamwork, discipline and cooperation;
- work with professional musicians and cultural organizations;
- supplement school music programs; and
- build audiences for classical music and provide affordable cultural enrichment.